Monday, March 21, 2011

Rationality en route Patriotism or otherwise...

I watched India play the match... All delighted inside. The last wicket made me jump with joy. India won.
My friend's voice ringing in my head: patriotism.


I have proudly stated myself as 'patriotic' all these years. But a dailogue with him on this aspect made me rethink. 
Is Patriotism necessarily a positive thing to hold onto? 
Doesn't Patriotism limit our scope for thinking about the world at large? Doesn't Patriotism make us overlook some wrongs the governing body etc does in the country ( labeling it under my 'country's progress mechanism, etc)? 
Doesn't it make thousands of young people join a wing which takes them into an uncertain tomorrow? 


I thought a bit on all these facets.
Why should I not be proud of my country? it is the land which made me what I am now... it gave me an identity. It is protecting me from various things and I can have a sound sleep every night.
It has so many talented people, so many worthy people... And I am proud to be one of them! One of their own country!


When calamity strikes, would you go and help any person you first see or would naturally prefer to help the person from your country first; on priority? 
Like for example, all what happened in Libya or Egypt (still happening) the respective Governments of the respective countries are trying to safely transport the citizens belonging to the respective nationality and not really investing their efforts in the overall improvement of the situation... Ofcourse, here the priority of safeguarding the country's citizens comes in ; but when the larger picture is taken into consideration, there is all havoc and each country is just putting in their resources to help 'their' people.
The unbiased picture is a euphoria. It would need an anarchic era to realize.  But hanging on to feeble ideas would not really help the matters for good.


Patriotism, if in moderate and rational amount; is for good. but if it assumes the form of a swollen irrational entity and false pride, it tends to obstruct the smooth functioning overall...in every small matter.
For example, when it comes to the topic such as 'first area or regional unit to adopt so-and-so thing or to discover the art of so-and-so'... every country or the people from almost all regions pounce on the credit to be theirs. While studying some topics related to history, every historian extols his/her country to have produced so-and-so FIRST in the world, etc... And I had great difficulty to edit it and have a clear idea of the particular age/era. A small example, maybe. even may be insignificant from your viewpoint. But all i wish to point out is the loss of objectivity based on the blindness because of patriotism.


Patriotism in it's strongest form is in the defense services. All are charged with a unique rage fueled by patriotism. The countries too 'invest' finances in huge amounts per year. I question, is it really necessary? To step in a n occupation which is so uncertain about your very existence...
Yes it is true, that we can never be certain about tomorrow. And that is precisely what keeps us all active and productive. But what is use of a whole life invested in safeguarding the lines which are but a creation of human mind? Can't that life be invested in betterment of so many deprived people all over the world?...
Plainly put, as long as the boundaries exist, military wings would and the losses too.... both in cash and kind.


I have nothing against military or the government. It is just with the line of thought and what it makes out of you. what it makes you do... in the picture on the broader canvas of the world. 
In fact, I myself was thinking of joining military service some time in my life. 'Just to explore everything', as I put it. 
Now however, I am rethinking about my stand. 
It was a good journey however to explore and question one's belief. Thanks to him.
I, from a Patriotic little female, am slowly walking the road where all the boundaries vanish and the fanatic Patriotism sublimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment