Sunday, March 6, 2011

The expected element

Small things, small expectations. But the point is, EXPECTATIONS. 
When you start expecting, you start becoming a sadder person. Yes, I stand by this. with whole heart.
My past few days were full of 'expectations'. 
I expected people to listen, to understand. I also expected from them that they talk about things, 'open up', give a vent... and so on. I expected some to call me. To text, at least. 
I expected people to 'behave', 'react', 'respond' and 'answer' in some expected fashion...

And no doubt, they were also 'expecting' similar things from my side!
Expectations... multiplying.

My parents expected me to stay indoors, even while they are at work. I expected them to let me go wherever I please since I would be in this city for a brief period of time.
My friends expected to meet me. I expected them to drop in at my place as it was impossible for me to go to each friend's house and meet her!
My relatives expected me to visit them. I had a telephonic conversation with them and expected them to be satisfied with that.
My teachers and guides who used to teach and guide me in earlier years of my schooling expected me to visit them as well. And I expected them to be okay if I plan to meet them the next time I come.

Jeez! I could sense a heap of expectations mounting and multiplying day by day, hour by hour...

'Too many acquaintances, too much havoc', said my friend. But the problem is not with the acquaintances at all. It is with the linked expectation everyone carries. There are hardly any people who are absolutely fine with the things as they go ( I mean people meeting, etc: and not the social conditions or any other'problems')... And they seldom start from where we had last left. 
For instance, there are some of my buddies, who never crib about I not calling them frequently, etc. We just start our bosom talk as and when we miss each other. Just this morning, my good friend called me... we were talking after three long months. But I found no trace of cribbing and drabs of expectations for calling and 'staying in touch'. If you really want to stay in touch; daily call is not really mandatory. It is the quality of communication, and not the quantity!

I had been greatly upset with the downpour of 'expectations' lately.
I went to visit my close friend, Kaddy. With the 'expectation' that he would not 'expect' anything as such. [Not that I did not see him more, but just because I did not want to make it sound draggy instead of bubbling and spontaneous meetings. I actually crave to see him, but; without EXPECTATIONS! :D What an irony!]
He did not expect much. But addition of my small expectations and his few, made it again into a huge heap!
Oh. Great expectations! They are bound to stay I think as long as we share bonds with other humans and as long as we fall in love...
Expect then. The best at least. ;)


3 comments:

  1. look this expecting thing is never gonna end wid humans. And in a way you are expecting yourself not to expect anything from anyone.
    Ya, the stress that evolves from these expectations is many a times disturbing and irritating but there are many ways to take it positively or you can simply let the mood and mode of expectation go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah...
    I agree. But there are just some moments which make you write some stuff in the spur of the moment. Plus, it happens that it is easier said than done.
    Although, i appreciate what you are pointing at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't mind at all about writing. But I just thought you were too much irritated of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete