I was lying sick in my bed. Trying to ignore all the sounds, voices and the noises from the outside.
It was India -Pakistan Cricket World Cup semi-final.
With all that cheering and all, India managed to win.
The streets were empty as everyone watched the match intently.
I tried to be very neutral and was not supporting any team, but lying in my bed, trying to bring my head back in place. The heat was playing tricks and the people banging my bedroom door after every boundary hit by India... I thought "Stop people! India won't lose if you don't score boundaries!" And to people's astonishment, next eleven overs were 'boundary less' for India. I weakly smiled, and tucked in again...
First inning was rather unenthusiastic for me. The next inning however, made me sit glued to the TV set. I had alternating feeling of being on India's and next on Pakistan's side. Still undecided whom to support, I watched; cheering loudly when Pakistani batsmen scored the 'sixes' which Indians failed to do! People gave me the piercing 'look' aptly saying volumes... I could hear "Gaddar!" etc. which they wanted to say verbally, but did not.
The match concluded, India winning by 29 runs. And then the real fun started.
The city witnessed sudden lighting of firecrackers, people running on streets with tricolor, car and bike rallies with people screaming "Jai Hind...." etc. I watched the sudden transformation of the empty and lifeless streets into crowded ones. The stars shone below and the crackers rose to reach them.
It was like a celebration for liberation. I think India would have rejoiced akin to this when she attained freedom in 1947. I looked at the bright colors rising in the night sky with awe. My eyes seemed too small to get the whole scape of activity to fit in my area of vision. I had an overwhelming feeling...
But what was all this exactly about?
Just because India got into the finals? Or because she beat PAKISTAN ?
And if latter is the case, then why so special treatment and special rejoicing?
These questions have a history of over hundreds of years.
But what I basically wish to point out is the 'psychology'.
The firm hold of indoctrination continuing from over one generation to the other, and with such an intensity, that in spite of so many effort5s and so many years, things stand just as same.
When are we to move beyond these lines of boundaries and nationality and enjoy the sport in the right light of it?
When will a Hindu and a Muslim state would no longer make such a difference in our views?
Indian Prime minister also invited Pakistani Prime minister to watch the match, being hosted by India. A new wake in the international politics and friendship would be witnessed; as per what all think.
A game of cricket is going deep than just a game. It is already the unofficial 'religion' in India and now building new blocks on the facade of world politics.
Will it bring all the positivism we are radiantly hopeful for?
I think, the answer is, a Cricket ball.
It was India -Pakistan Cricket World Cup semi-final.
With all that cheering and all, India managed to win.
The streets were empty as everyone watched the match intently.
I tried to be very neutral and was not supporting any team, but lying in my bed, trying to bring my head back in place. The heat was playing tricks and the people banging my bedroom door after every boundary hit by India... I thought "Stop people! India won't lose if you don't score boundaries!" And to people's astonishment, next eleven overs were 'boundary less' for India. I weakly smiled, and tucked in again...
First inning was rather unenthusiastic for me. The next inning however, made me sit glued to the TV set. I had alternating feeling of being on India's and next on Pakistan's side. Still undecided whom to support, I watched; cheering loudly when Pakistani batsmen scored the 'sixes' which Indians failed to do! People gave me the piercing 'look' aptly saying volumes... I could hear "Gaddar!" etc. which they wanted to say verbally, but did not.
The match concluded, India winning by 29 runs. And then the real fun started.
The city witnessed sudden lighting of firecrackers, people running on streets with tricolor, car and bike rallies with people screaming "Jai Hind...." etc. I watched the sudden transformation of the empty and lifeless streets into crowded ones. The stars shone below and the crackers rose to reach them.
It was like a celebration for liberation. I think India would have rejoiced akin to this when she attained freedom in 1947. I looked at the bright colors rising in the night sky with awe. My eyes seemed too small to get the whole scape of activity to fit in my area of vision. I had an overwhelming feeling...
But what was all this exactly about?
Just because India got into the finals? Or because she beat PAKISTAN ?
And if latter is the case, then why so special treatment and special rejoicing?
These questions have a history of over hundreds of years.
But what I basically wish to point out is the 'psychology'.
The firm hold of indoctrination continuing from over one generation to the other, and with such an intensity, that in spite of so many effort5s and so many years, things stand just as same.
When are we to move beyond these lines of boundaries and nationality and enjoy the sport in the right light of it?
When will a Hindu and a Muslim state would no longer make such a difference in our views?
Indian Prime minister also invited Pakistani Prime minister to watch the match, being hosted by India. A new wake in the international politics and friendship would be witnessed; as per what all think.
A game of cricket is going deep than just a game. It is already the unofficial 'religion' in India and now building new blocks on the facade of world politics.
Will it bring all the positivism we are radiantly hopeful for?
I think, the answer is, a Cricket ball.
No comments:
Post a Comment