Midst of a conversation, I realized; that my friend was not really 'conversing'.
I stopped midway to think- whether I did not give him a chance to say anything or he himself was silent and not participating.
On asking him bluntly of his silence, he shocked me with his answer.
He said," I am on a listening mode. I listen to people these days, and do not speak a word. I let the ideas seep in and react later."
I raised my eyebrow in question.
I was not very convinced. We were talking about stuff which was intended for a dailogue... a discussion. And a two way discussion would have been the best thing!
He tried to convince me that talking does not help. I felt offended. I asked him whether the statement pertains 'worth' of the person you are talking to. With his answer; he surprised me further! He was of the opinion that he was at a stage where he thought it was advisable to just listen. Should I label that as 'inferiority complex'? (we were very much discussing within the domain he was pro-efficient in[or that's what I believe]; and in fact, I needed some inputs from him!)
So, till the fag end of the one-sided conversation, I could not help gauge why his current stance of 'silence' was taken in the first place?
I wondered if 'the golden silence' really does anything for you.
I, as a child was overall silent. I would 'obey' and never question. I would go about doing things 'silently'; but I realized that this is not a very healthy way of going about.I used to remain silent for hours together if I disapproved of anything. i thought people would know by my change in behavior that something is not right... But that ceased to happen. Then I thought,'Why to shut yourself?; Instead, go, lay things on the table!'' Many times, your silence is interpreted as your consent.And so, in some time; I realized that being silent neither takes on the message that you are 'revolting',nor does it do you any good... but instead you are framed as a 'willing horse' to lay all the load onto!
Speaking of silence; I cannot help feel agitated when someone does not voice their grievances, but prefers silence over it...I know, the reasons can be varied. And so can be the circumstances. But the 'silent' mentality must be given a breakthrough now. It is high time!
He tried to convince me that talking does not help. I felt offended. I asked him whether the statement pertains 'worth' of the person you are talking to. With his answer; he surprised me further! He was of the opinion that he was at a stage where he thought it was advisable to just listen. Should I label that as 'inferiority complex'? (we were very much discussing within the domain he was pro-efficient in[or that's what I believe]; and in fact, I needed some inputs from him!)
So, till the fag end of the one-sided conversation, I could not help gauge why his current stance of 'silence' was taken in the first place?
I wondered if 'the golden silence' really does anything for you.
I, as a child was overall silent. I would 'obey' and never question. I would go about doing things 'silently'; but I realized that this is not a very healthy way of going about.I used to remain silent for hours together if I disapproved of anything. i thought people would know by my change in behavior that something is not right... But that ceased to happen. Then I thought,'Why to shut yourself?; Instead, go, lay things on the table!'' Many times, your silence is interpreted as your consent.And so, in some time; I realized that being silent neither takes on the message that you are 'revolting',nor does it do you any good... but instead you are framed as a 'willing horse' to lay all the load onto!
Speaking of silence; I cannot help feel agitated when someone does not voice their grievances, but prefers silence over it...I know, the reasons can be varied. And so can be the circumstances. But the 'silent' mentality must be given a breakthrough now. It is high time!
No comments:
Post a Comment