Friday, January 28, 2011

In the old alleys

I came back home... Taking a short break from my 'beezie' schedule...
And my city's face seemed to have undergone tremendous change! But it is still the same at heart... (that's what I console myself with)
The prominent landmarks have changed, my regular hangout places have considerably altered... The coffee shop where I used to go and sit; to enjoy the cool breeze, felt so deserted today. Lifeless. The shops in front of my old college had all unfamiliar faces today. Initially it was such that I would see at least five familiar people with every step... The age old parks and roads seemed to have dressed themselves with the unfamiliar veil what the worldly word says 'makeover'.


The shopkeepers, the aged people having a tea break at the old tea shop, etc however felt to be so homely. We exchanged smiles and I was welcomed with warm questions,"How have you been?" I felt as ease. Something IS still the same!


I visited almost all the places I used to go to in here...
The bridge overlooking the calm river, the long tar road which takes to the 'hillock' where I would go with my friends; bunking classes :P, the dam,the jogging track...
I played the old songs waiting to be played in my player. All was so nice!


I was sitting along the riverbank with my 'kaddy'. Having a heart-to-heart conversation... so desired and so longed for. I was enjoying the cool breeze and the sweet smell of the riverside moist mud...
I saw a small dot which I identified as 'people' which grew bigger and bigger as it approached. They were two uniform clad policemen.
They halted. "Who are you? Why are you here?", they started interrogating. I felt a tinge of fear slowly expanding inside me. My 'kaddy' bravely stood and told his name. "We are sitting here. Discussing things.", he continued. "Don't you know this is not right? What if somebody robbed you?", the policeman said, staring sharply in my 'kaddy's' eye. 
In fact, it is a moderately populated area with the bunglows and settlements very near. The buildings overlook the river. And there is no way that the area would be 'deserted'. There is constant life due to the pedestrians, the building inhabitatants, etc. "Is it written that you should not sit here?" asked my 'kaddy'. The policeman was infuriated.Maybe because no one questions the policeman!  "Shaana ban raha hai? (Acting smart?) Jail main daal dunga! (I will put you in jail)", yelled the police and raised his stick. I was quite afraid by this time. I pulled my 'kaddy' by his arm and signaled to leave the place.
The policeman however was not in a mood to be at peace. He continued,"What does your father do? Where do you live?"  My 'kaddy' bravely answered all honestly. And added, "She is with me. Lives at my house. A friend of mine, not from here. Just visiting me. You may call my dad if you want." And pulled out his cellphone. I was stunned. I, in spite of being a localite, knowing that we weren't doing anything wrong; was kind of afraid... and this guy was protecting me! Of course I felt honoured! :D
The police fell silent (finally). We silently walked out, and drove home.


On our way, my 'kaddy' asked,"Why were you afraid? Afraid of they putting us behind bars?" I said I don't know. But genuinely, why does it arouse the feeling of fear? 
I was sure that I haven't done anything wrong which justifies them to put me behind bars. The public place was not dangerous at all; and the security reason they provided wasn't suffice. And public places are for people to meet, sit and talk; aren't they? Plus, this wasn't my first time to be there! 
My 'kaddy' has a point when he says,'Within your region; don't do any wrongs and don't be afraid!'
Is it the 'uniform' which is the fear factor? or jail? If all people decide not to be afraid of such goons, jail would not be a threat! Anyway, they cannot put you behind bars for sitting and meeting at some XYZ public place! 
The uniform vandalism has to be stopped!


Deeply distressed,we came home. The city had presented me with its different colours today... And had given me a thread to think and act.
Are all the policemen 'the protectors' of law and order? Or have they turned into the goons misusing their uniform at their will?

No comments:

Post a Comment