I am one of the lucky adolescents who never really fought for the search in the darkened crowd of so many people with so many identities. I was just plain lucky to have my space and my time to contemplate on what I really am since I even recall.
I hardly remember being torn into two identities, one which I thought myself to be in and the other people saw me me in... Which actually happens with many people, teenagers mostly, around us.
I got that in hierarchy I guess. Logical reasoning, rational approach and plain clarity. I am not intenting to boast, but this is something which I am really proud of; specially seeing many people trapped in the cages of their own.
And I feel the roots are in the childhood. Many times, the self contradictory behaviour, hypocritical teachings, double-standarded conduct, unreasonable compulsions... all contribute to the search of "who am I".
I agree, this stage is very necessary for all of us for a firm base to the character and the future being. But its complete hold on us is what I think is unwanted.
We have many examples of people who, in this very search of an Identity, have reached the epitome. while some, sadly to state, keep floating in this Identity crisis and remain potential slaves all throughout their life.
There are some people in my acquaintance who, at the mature age of 30+ are still baffled with what do they really area nd what do they want of their life. Leave aside the academic performa or the maritial relationships (also, they are crucial), but what do they have as their own if they are'nt yet sure of what they are! I do not wish to propose that everyone of us much be a sage and attain 'Nirvana', but in this world of developed self awareness, it is important to nurture the being within you and understand what you really are.
Not just for the people around you, but mainly for yourself.
And the first step to understand yourself and to really gauge where you stand and who you are, is to start an open dialogue with oneself. Self-dialogue helps. Also, contemplating on each passing event rationally, and drawing a series of possibilities if you were to redo the situation, goes a long way to make you a person who knows the inside-out of yourself. Introverts find this real easy. And by this I don't mean you should cut off yourself from the society and all. On the contrary, I wish to suggest self-dialogue in addition to the social interactions.
Maybe, this small act would go deeper down to make maore self-aware people and would reduce the Identity crisis which for many, is a dark stage in their teenage.
Hello! So you didn't have to suffer the indentity crisis of the teenagers. That's good, very good. I think you know who you are (or maybe who you aren't) and you can see very clear inside you.
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be a wise girl, no matter your age, i think wisdom is some kind of intuitive knowledge and it has nothing to do with age.
You know every time i read you many questions come to my mind. For example:
why are you traveling so much?
where are you living now?
when and why do you decided to begin this journey?
Ah, also i realize that i don't know your name!!