"A romantic getaway, in the hills!", sounded perfect!
After a fort-night of hunting for best available options, we booked a cozy cabin, made a handsome payment, and off we went!
The two-hour long getting lost and finally reaching the right cabin tucked in hills midst the thicket seemed all worth it when I saw the wooden cabin in the quaint light of the dusk. The wooden patio and sloping roof with a chimney made it a picture-perfect weekend spot. The warm light by the bedside did seem a bit spooky at first, but I made myself see the warmth it imbued. Thick foliage and cooing birds gave it the picturesque finish it deserved.
I opened the rusty door with a loud creak. Spider webs dangled from the door-frame, and dust marked its presence. But I thought, this is 'the beauty of wilderness'... As we stepped in, the picture however began to change. As if the crammed up wooden cabin with planks that creaked when we walked wasn't intimidating enough, that the chimney, we discovered was home to many squealing bats! The Jacuzzi in the cabin was obviously not in a working condition and it reminded me of Hollywood classics like Psycho and The Shining. Jacuzzi right next to the bed was anyway a bad idea!
The yellow lights poured more spookiness as they often blinked; probably winking at each other seeing our terrified faces. A big poster of a bear hung right above the bed. The bear would've been nice to look at, if it weren't with bare teeth and an angry stance. The sit-out which should've provided some comfort and leisurely sitting, sported a spooky swing with rusted chains and two faded chairs which looked like ghosts had made very good of them over the years.
We anyway decided to spend the night there.
Which was undoubtedly a big mistake...
The midnight hour was marked by gentle 'thud' on the door. We concluded, it was the wind. The 'thud' got louder, clearer, spookier, and 'an act of human' rather than friendly windy force. The shadow of the man with a hat was enough for us to jump out of our skins. "yes?" we responded, without opening the door.. "Ah! Not Julia? I might be at the wrong cabin. Sorry folks, have a good night!" came a slurry heavy voice and then the "thud" on the steps, dying out with the patter of rain outside. There weren't many cabins in the area to be mistaken, I thought to myself.
As the rain ceased, the roof above us grew silent, and we heaved a sigh of relief, cuddling in the dusty bed with sheets smelling of wet wood. But the din began again! At around three, which is the 'hour of the ghosts' as my partner tried to convince me; the chimney became the site for Chiropteraic symphonies. The bats squealed, cried... to the point that I began visualizing them as blood-thirsty gargoyles ready to fly out of the chimney, or at us.
I could not sleep a wink.
Taps has muddy water, the toilet didn't flush, drawers and chests has a weird storage smell which was both disgusting and enough to give me a gag. I could not see what made me choose this place - online reviews and flattering pictures, I think.
Our romantic getaway did turn into a rather spooky first night experience.
We packed, booked a nearest lodge, drew the curtains, and threw ourselves on the dusty beds. What a siesta! Ah!
After a fort-night of hunting for best available options, we booked a cozy cabin, made a handsome payment, and off we went!
The two-hour long getting lost and finally reaching the right cabin tucked in hills midst the thicket seemed all worth it when I saw the wooden cabin in the quaint light of the dusk. The wooden patio and sloping roof with a chimney made it a picture-perfect weekend spot. The warm light by the bedside did seem a bit spooky at first, but I made myself see the warmth it imbued. Thick foliage and cooing birds gave it the picturesque finish it deserved.
| The bedside warm light |
I opened the rusty door with a loud creak. Spider webs dangled from the door-frame, and dust marked its presence. But I thought, this is 'the beauty of wilderness'... As we stepped in, the picture however began to change. As if the crammed up wooden cabin with planks that creaked when we walked wasn't intimidating enough, that the chimney, we discovered was home to many squealing bats! The Jacuzzi in the cabin was obviously not in a working condition and it reminded me of Hollywood classics like Psycho and The Shining. Jacuzzi right next to the bed was anyway a bad idea!
| "hark!" |
| Unwanted spookiness? :P |
| Some spooky sprinkling at the cabin |
The yellow lights poured more spookiness as they often blinked; probably winking at each other seeing our terrified faces. A big poster of a bear hung right above the bed. The bear would've been nice to look at, if it weren't with bare teeth and an angry stance. The sit-out which should've provided some comfort and leisurely sitting, sported a spooky swing with rusted chains and two faded chairs which looked like ghosts had made very good of them over the years.
We anyway decided to spend the night there.
Which was undoubtedly a big mistake...
The midnight hour was marked by gentle 'thud' on the door. We concluded, it was the wind. The 'thud' got louder, clearer, spookier, and 'an act of human' rather than friendly windy force. The shadow of the man with a hat was enough for us to jump out of our skins. "yes?" we responded, without opening the door.. "Ah! Not Julia? I might be at the wrong cabin. Sorry folks, have a good night!" came a slurry heavy voice and then the "thud" on the steps, dying out with the patter of rain outside. There weren't many cabins in the area to be mistaken, I thought to myself.
As the rain ceased, the roof above us grew silent, and we heaved a sigh of relief, cuddling in the dusty bed with sheets smelling of wet wood. But the din began again! At around three, which is the 'hour of the ghosts' as my partner tried to convince me; the chimney became the site for Chiropteraic symphonies. The bats squealed, cried... to the point that I began visualizing them as blood-thirsty gargoyles ready to fly out of the chimney, or at us.
I could not sleep a wink.
| In our company of two, we thought we're being watched.. ehhhh... |
Taps has muddy water, the toilet didn't flush, drawers and chests has a weird storage smell which was both disgusting and enough to give me a gag. I could not see what made me choose this place - online reviews and flattering pictures, I think.
| 'The' cabin! |
Our romantic getaway did turn into a rather spooky first night experience.
We packed, booked a nearest lodge, drew the curtains, and threw ourselves on the dusty beds. What a siesta! Ah!
No comments:
Post a Comment