Friday, June 9, 2017

Pittsburgh




Doesn't seem like it has already been a fortnight! We arrived here with drowsy eyes, bouts of sleeplessness and pit in our stomach. The weather escalated the state with cloudy gloom looming for a week... But finally the sun shone, and we mustered our lost energies. 

This industrial giant city felt like an old man bent over rivers multiple times to help us cross. Hence, the city of 'bridges'! Tall towers with needles, goth buildings and exquisite cathedrals with stained glass windows captured my attention the most. This Heinz hub had more to offer, with multicolored crossings in Ellesworth Ave. in support of LGBT, yellow box street lights framing pictures of old Pittsburgh on Walnut street and brick construction with English bond. Summer presented a different picture of Pittsburgh among st its brick and steel, which is endearing that the cold stare the city assumes in winters. 
Burgh of high-rises and old cathedrals
Sprawling gardens as in the Canadian West are rare, but Scheneley Park affords a quaint afternoon walk and the botanical Garden/Herborium aped the feel of being close to nature. Pitt; in its glory seems to hold its head high with the wrought iron muscles, unlike the hills being the identity of the scenic cities I seem to compare Pittsburgh with. Mt. Washington might be an exception. It is a sweet marriage of nature in its flamboyance and Pittsburgh's core city living. The statue "Point of View" on Mt. Washington depicts George Washington and Seneca leader Guyasuta, immortalizing their meeting in 1770CE. These two men rendered in bronze overlook the best spots of the city- the point-state park, at the confluence Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers.
Our Talk-And-Walk trail on Mt. Washington

Point State Park from Mt. Washington


For our evening strolls and deep reflections, Scheneley Park is our absolute favourite! We like to meander along Waterfront to catch a movie or to window shop... I am exploring the city at my own pace, and it is indeed is unfolding its vibrant colors gradually. I hope I would be able to see past some bitterness in the city. After all, although a steel giant, the city has a heart of Gold! I would soon like to say: "I (heart) PGH"

The city has however given me something I cannot undermine - peace of mind. And with it came the strength to reflect, rekindle and improve on things I always pledged I would. Sipping in a warm gulp of green tea, I breathe in the crisp air in the patio, and start working! Reading, observing and recording in this heartening silence has its own rewards. I have begun to work wisely, and allot my time for different activities throughout the day. R's encouragement and free-hand in this respect has played monumental role. We have a sense of growing together with the elements of this city life in ours.
My "workspace"
Pamela's Diner, restaurants such as Tamarind, Silk Elephant et al, have become a part of our memory lane. Casual strolls in Downtown Pittsburgh has enabled us to view the city differently. A familiar smile at Blick, my stationery store; a courteous goodbye at Target and dozens of other things help reduce the brunt of cold responses and red-neck glares. Although I sometimes do not feel 'belonged' in the city, I feel at 'home' in this house. Even if I cannot embrace Pittsburgh as the city I love, it would always be our first home! 
When a 'house' starts to feel like 'home'

No comments:

Post a Comment