Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The bank affair

I have always hated banks.
I have viewed it as the most undesirable place to be at, and only the money crunchers can tolerate the ambience.
I have seen my dad engrossed for hours in managing his numerous bank accounts, managing the respective passbooks, check books, mutual funds and other seemingly incoherent things.
My bank, affectionately called as BOM; has been a partner in such love- hate relationship.
I always hated even the sight of my bank; in addition to the grim and dull faces of the mundane workers there, who would not change an expression even if the fellow worker would be shot in front of them.
I hated the enormous paperwork for tiniest of things, long queues and undue preferences for some people.
Frankly, i had never understood the point of these tiresome activities. My grandpa often said that we have a personal connect with people and my money is safe with them. But in modern scenario, i dont really see the personal connect; especially in my bank.
Every time i came home for vacation; a big chunk of time was reserved for pending bank work, and my father ensured that every time.
This time too; i started with my share of bank work as i got home. Two days in a row were frustrating as usual, new demands for more documents and photocopies everyday...
Today was a different day however.
I walked in, expecting nothing but further demands and dull responses from the bank people.
I went to a different branch today. I took my time to find the section i wanted and walked in.
A lady was looking expectantly at me. She waved as i looked in her direction. I walked to her asked where to submit application for foreign currency.
She had a big smile on her face. She said, "here!"
I was little happy, thinking my labor would be saved. I handed over the form. She asked me the purpose of foreign currency, and almost jumped with joy when she learnt that it is for a conference. 
She was talking affectionately and with pride. She also said she w as fortunate to have met a young person like me who was bound abroad for professional pursuits. It indeed lifted my mood.
Her energy and enthusiasm was boundless, and i felt like meetings with her again and again. If only, she was not in a bank!

I came home today, smiling to myself. I wish my grandpa was here. I felt nice going to the bank today. And a tiny love affair has begun...
I would go there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment