Sunday, November 10, 2013

The car-ride

I looked out of the window as I shut the door and sat in the car. My house was slowly shrinking in the distance untill it became a tiny speckle in the background. The rearview mirror was adorned with a dangling string with beads which rhythmically danced with the gentle jerks of the speed breakers.
I looked at my dad who was poised at the wheel. Who will break the ice was the question.
I clearly did not know where and what to start.
I was still agast that i had actually told him about my romantic interests with such brave heart.
But after the 'exposition' i did not know how to proceed with the topic.

'how long have you known each other?', he finally started. 'one yearish'.
"hmmm."

Not a good start; I thought.
However as we talked, I became more relaxed and the conversation started flowing naturally.
The beads dangling from the mirror did not bother me anymore and I did not feel the need of gazing out of the window to avoid his glances...
I was getting the feeling of "equals" as we talked; after a long time. Much water had flown and that we have had grown to acknowledge the differences and at times had agreed to differ.
My dad spoke to me with a natural familiarity of emotions.
He was worried about me- but I would prefer the word 'concern' here. He wanted to really know what had appealed to me in David that i was had declared the love forhim... Hewanted to be sure that it is real.
The most striking thing was his total acceptance of my stand. I declared that i am not marrying him or something, but we are just getting to know each other and would be spending time with each other- often enormous time.
I expected my father to freak out. But he was unrealistically calm.

We talked about my future life; his take on things; my perception of the guy i had chosen, his readings about various people, etc etc
We shared our philosophies of life.
 I took a deep breath as we talked. He raised his brows in question. I simply said i feel mature.
And i really did feel so. I was proud of myself to have a long mature discussion with him and that he considered me as equal and not as a kid anymore. I was glad that we had things to share and talk about with certain gravity of thought.
I was content that the geographical distances had actually bridged the intellectual distancesbetween us.
We were looking at each other as adults- capable and mature to interact, discuss andconverse.
 The car ride that day had given me back something I longed for- my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment