Friday, November 15, 2013

Being a weakling

I clearly could not see where our conversation was going...
I was growing terrified with each phonecall i got from him. I would tell myself that i have to feel happy when his name flashed with his call on the mobile screen, but somehow i felt like ignoring the call altogether or would attend with clear detachment. I wanted my kaddy to call in times like these.
It was like a sunray piercing the grey mass of gloomy clouds. But kaddy was busy maintaining distance and did not call.
After a few futile attempts at truncating those now no-more-plesant calls, i decided to talk point blank.
As expected, he called. I assumed my role of patient listener first and then the one of voracious speaker. He was talking all the worldly things- bus rides in Europe and the English skyline... Cool beer and meeting with so many stalwarts of the field of his interest... Somehow i could not keep my focus on the things being discussed. The epitome of boredom set in when he started discussing lives of others. And it reached a rather unimagined level of  ideocracy when he discussed his experiences of feeling sexually aroused in public places by mere remembrance of the person he loves or fancies... I started to feel disgusted.
I could not think of any appropriate response. Needless to say, that i wanted to cut the call as my only response.But i did not do it. I continued listening to what he  was saying and unknowingly repeated my age old mistake- of being silent at wrong times.

I had an inkling by now that this is going to assume unwanted dimensions.
But I still hid my heart and remained silent.

I think that is where we women go wrong.
We inflict pain onto ourselves in the 'trade' of keeping people's hearts whole.
And we diminish...piece by piece...in submission and tolerance.

That is St. Augustine's burnt cathedral- I saw myself in that. (Too far fetched; but appealing to me)



No comments:

Post a Comment