Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mrs. Iyer

Weird  how things turn in a matter of days.  And how some unexpected things turn them...

My friend once said that certain 'Mrs. Iyer' wanted to meet me. I was a bit uncertain whether to go ahead with the meeting. But finally I decided to meet her. I pictured her as a lady with dark complexion, thick black hair touching her thighs, white bunch of flowers tucked in the oiled hair, cotton saree and a prominent mark on the forehead. (I know I was being a stereotype) I stood at the college gate for about ten minutes, eying every lady clad in saree. So finally I called her to ask where she is exactly. She said she was on her way... Now the funny part is, I started talking in English, thinking that she would not understand Hindi (again a stereotype) and that I cannot speak Tamil. But it turned out that she spoke my mother tongue and herself did not know a word from Tamil! So I waited patiently, until I saw a figure getting off a car, walking towards me wearing jeans and t-shirt and a small bob cut to adorn the round fair face. She introduced herself as Mrs. Iyer. 'Oh!'. That's all I could say. It was like a big blow to all my thought balloons...

In a short while, we became good friends. We discovered so many  things we had in common. The love for animals bound us further together. We would spend our evenings together, talk about  a lot of things, go out for dinners, visit places, go on drives... I became good friends with her husband and her daughter too. It was almost like an extended family to me. If I would not be at home, I would be at her place...
We rescued some pups together, I went her for animal therapy sessions, we celebrated birthdays, got cakes, made candles, had sleepover parties; shared almost all thoughts and life stories...

I moved into a different city, but the longing and the urge to talk never really ceased. I would always look forward to the meeting we would have when I would go home. The incidence when she sent me a cake on the previous night of my birthday when there was no one at home and I was sitting all alone and dull was one of the best moment I would like to cherish. I was so overjoyed with the red rose bouquet and the chocolate cake that the episode comes alive always as i think of it.

In June later that year I started for Leh. She gave me her camera to capture the beauty as I see it. After I came back, I stayed at home for a while, but could not meet her. I handed over the camera to my mother so that she can give it whenever Mrs. Iyer would come to pick it up. But somehow that never happened.
Almost one whole year passed. Our contact was meager. She could not come to pick up the camera and I was in the different city altogether... After a year, I went back home with some time at my hand. Even after desperate attempts to meet her and return the camera, i could not make it. She called me one day that her husband is now totally unapproved of this. He is mad at her regarding the camera. I kept my word. I returned the camera the very next day.
I also gave her an idea of what problems I encountered while I used the camera and how I tried to fix them, but which apparently did not work out. I did not mention that I had spent over 2000Rs. on its maintenance; since I thought it was my duty since I had borrowed it. Now I think, I should have said it.But all this maybe triggered something and things started tumbling down day by day...
I tried to make up by offering to buy that camera so that she would not have to brute the burden of anything. But that somehow did not work out.
And thins started getting even more strange after that.
We hardly talked. We hardly texted or mailed each other. It was getting as if we had just known each other as any other face in the crowd.

Strange how a material thing changed the face of our relation. I pictured the world outside with her camera, but spoiled the film and the texture of our friendship.
Maybe I would get to make up to all this some day. Hopefully,I would be able to gift her if not a camera; atleast a picture and let her know that she matters to me.
The hills in the picture remind me of a loss of a friend, and unwanted boundaries...






A pepping hot cup of coffee that we would share... Hopefully, soon.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to meet Mrs Iyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.o weird. I would say. Should I take it as a compliment for the post or something?!

    ReplyDelete